Al Zahra Hospital, Dubai
Al Zahra Hospital has been designed and developed to provide premium medical care and comfort with modern equipment and a team of professional doctors.
Unsure about your medical condition and the treatment that will suit you best?
Are you not sure as to which treatment will be best suited for your medical condition or want to know more about the risks involved in the treatment? Or are you worried about the location, services, qualification of the treating doctor? It’s easy to clarify all your doubts. Just share your contact details, talk to our experts or get a free online consultation, and get all the answers to your questions in no time.
English, Arabic, Translators can be arranged for other Languages
Medical records transfer
Phone in the room
TV in the room
Special dietary requests accepted
Private rooms for patients available
Online doctor consultation
Visa / Travel office
Personal assistance / Concierge
Ophthalmology 3 procedures
This is a procedure where the lens in one’s eye that has become cloudy (cataract) is removed and replaced with an artificial Len (called IOL or intraocular Len). Cataract is a condition that leads to loss of vision by clouding of one’s natural eye Len that lies behind the pupil and iris. It is performed by an ophthalmologist.
Detached Retina Treatment
The retinal detachment is an emergency condition where the pulls from the bold vessel that supply it with nutrients and oxygen. It’s accompanied by floaters (cobwebs or specks) and flashes in one's vision. If not fixed leads to blindness. The condition can be managed via various treatment modalities by an ophthalmologist. The notable procedures include vitrectomy, pneumatic retinopexy and scleral buckle procedure.
Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Treatment
Currently, there is no specific treatment for dry AMD, but the patient can slow their condition by taking minerals and vitamins daily. There are however the wet AMD can be managed with Anti-VEGF drugs which helps decrease the number of abnormal vessels in one’s eye. Laser surgery can also be used to manage it.
Gastroenterology 3 procedures
This is an endoscopic procedure used to examine the colon (large intestine) and the Ileum (the distal sections of the small intestine) using a fiber optic camera or a CCD camera on a flexible tube that is passed via the anus. It helps in the diagnosis of ulcers (e.g., ulcerative colitis, Cohn’s disease), polyps (e.g., HNPCC) and removal or biopsy of suspected lesions of colorectal cancer. It is also used in screening for colorectal cancer. Currently, virtual colonoscopy which is virtually noninvasive is available and uses CT scans or MRI sand to reconstruct its images.
It is a nonsurgical procedure done to examine a person’s gastrointestinal tract. A patient may be anesthetized or fully conscious during the process. It is used in the investigation of gastrointestinal symptoms, confirmation of diagnosis and for treatment purposes, e.g., widening and esophageal stricture. The most commonly performed endoscopic procedure is esophagogastroduodenoscopy (OGD). Endoscopy is also used to examine the respiratory tract (rhinoscopy or bronchoscopy), the ear (otoscope), the urinary tract (cystoscopy) and female reproductive tract (gynoscopy). The technology is also available for use in pregnancy, plastic surgery, orthopedic surgery, endodontic surgeries, endoscopic spinal procedure and endoscopic endonasal surgeries.
This is biopsy taken form the liver. It is a medical procedure that is done to diagnose, assess severity or monitor response to treatment of liver diseases.
General Surgery 2 procedures
A hernia is an abnormal protrusion in whole or part, through an OPENING, pathological or anatomically in the walls of its containing cavity, e.g., the abdominal cavity. Hernia Repair procedures involve returning this displaced tissue to their proper place. There are different types of Hernia Repair surgeries, i.e., Herniorrhaphy (tissue repair) and hernioplasty (mesh repair) where a mesh is usually sewn over weakened areas.
This is the surgical removal of the appendix. It is performed after a patient suffering from acute appendicitis. It can be performed as laparoscopic or as an open procedure.
Bariatric Surgery 1 procedures
Bariatric Surgery Consultation
This is a weight loss procedure. Currently, most are performed laparoscopically. These include sleeve gastrostomy, adjustable gastric band, gastric bypass and Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch. This consultation will provide you with details about this procedure and go on to offer details of procedure relevant to thee. We will endeavor to explain to you how the procedures work and how it will help you achieve your desired weight.
Cardiology 7 procedures
This is the systematic examination of a patient’s cardiovascular system with the aim of diagnosing cardiovascular problems. The assessment encompasses taking a comprehensive history of a patient, carrying out a thorough physical examination of a patient and finally doing investigations such as electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, central venous pressure, etc.
It is a type of cardiac catheterization procedure. It is performed for both interventional and diagnostic purposes. In this procedure, a dye that is radiopaque is injected into the blood vessels of one’s heart. An X-ray machine is then used to take serial images (angiograms) that give a picture of how the blood vessels are. Based on the finding, an interventional cardiologist will open the clogged vessels (angioplasty).
Also known as percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA) Thais is a procedure that is used to widen narrowed or blocked coronary arteries. The procedure is carried out by an interventional cardiologist. When combined with stenting, it is referred to as percutaneous coronary intervention. Is should be done within thirty minutes to 2 hours after a having a cardiac event.
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) Surgery
Also referred to as colloquially heart bypass or bypass surgery or coronary artery bypass surgery. It is an operation done restore normal blood flow to obstructed coronary vessels hence used to manage coronary heart disease. The surgery has two main approaches, i.e., diversion of the internal thoracic artery to the left anterior descending artery in the left coronary vessel and using the great saphenous vein to create a connection between the aorta or its branch to the obstructed artery distance to the obstruction.
This is a hospital checkup and review by a qualified cardiologist. It involves patient assessment, treatment planning, diagnosis and cardiac interventions.
This is a painless imaging modality that uses x-rays to take detailed images of one’s heart and its blood vessels. It may or may not be done with intravenous contrast agents. The modern multidetector CT (MDCT) is highly sensitive.
Aortic Valve Repair
This is a procedure done to repair or replace aortic valves damaged by disease. Aortic valves are one of the four heart valves that help regulate the flow of blood in the heart. The surgeon will remove the damaged valves and replace them with a prosthetic one which is then screwed into place. The valves can be mechanical (made of artificial materials like carbon) or biological, i.e., from animal or human tissue.
Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) 4 procedures
It is a test done to test one’s ability to perceive sound. The machine used to do the test is called an audiometer. It measures ones hearing acuity based on variations in sound tone, pitch, and intensity. It helps grade conduction deafness and rules out sensorineural hearing loss.
This is the surgical removal of the larynx and then separating it from the nose, esophagus and the moth. It can be total or partial. In total, the entire larynx is removed while in partial, only a portion is exercised. It is commonly used in the treatment of laryngeal cancers. It is a procedure performed by ENT surgeons.
This is the surgical removal of part or whole of the thyroid tissue. The Parathyroid gland is usually preserved. It can be partial thyroidectomy where part of the thyroid is preserved, or it can be total thyroidectomy where the whole of the thyroid tissue is removed. It is commonly indicated for lived conditions like goiter, thyroid malignancies, etc.
This is a surgical procedure in which the fibrofatty content of the neck is removed as a treatment for metastasis to the cervical lymph nodes. Head and neck malignances commonly metastasize to the cervical lymph nodes. There are various surgical options available i.e. radical neck dissection, modified radical neck dissection, selective neck dissection and extended radical neck dissection.
Neurosurgery 2 procedures
Brain Tumor Surgery
Surgery is the common modality for managing many malignant and most benign tumors. The operation is performed by a neurosurgeon. It helps relieve seizures, remove tumors, take biopsies and enable chemotherapy or radiotherapy. Common techniques used include craniotomy, craniotomy, partial or complete removal, shunting, transsphenoidal surgery, LITT, etc.
Skull Base Surgery
This is minimally invasive, highly specialized neurosurgical technique for diagnosis, evaluating and treating cancerous or benign growths located on the base of the skull, the upper vertebrae of the spine and the underside of the brain.
Oncology 5 procedures
Breast Cancer Treatment
Treatment of breast cancer depends on the stage. The treatment may involve radiotherapy, surgery or medications. The types of surgeries used included mastectomy (radical mastectomy or simple mastectomy, modified radical mastectomy, patery modified radical mastectomy), breast-conserving surgery, lumpectomy and lymph node dissection. Medical therapy involves chemotherapy for breast cancer or systemic hormonal therapy like tamoxifen.
Cervical Cancer Treatment
Treatment of cervical cancer depends on the stage though other factors like the site of the tumor, ones desire for children, overall health, age, and type of cancer. While in stage 0 (CIS), the condition can be managed by loop electrosurgical procedure, simple hysterectomy, cone biopsy, cryotherapy and laser therapy. At stage 1a, cone biopsy is preferred. At stage 1A2, cone biopsy or radical trachelectomy with pelvic lymph node dissection is preferred, but for those who don’t desire fertility, EBRT and radical hysterectomy are desirable. At stage 1B and 2A, surgery and radiation or concurrent chemoradiation are desirable. At stage 2B, 3 and 4A chemo-radiation is used. At stage 4B, chemo-radiotherapy to try to slow down the tumor.
Chemotherapy is the use of drugs to treat diseases. But in medicine, it is commonly used when referring to the medical treatment of cancer that utilizes one or more antineoplastic medications as part of a standardized chemotherapeutic regimen. They are given with the intent to reduce symptoms, prolong life or cure cancer. Each cancer has a specific regiment that has been prepared for its management. Medical oncologists administrate chemotherapeutic regiment.
Bladder Cancer Treatment
Medical and surgical modalities are used treatment of bladder cancer. The surgery done is either partial or complete Cystectomy. This involves partial or complete removal of the bladder. Medical therapy includes chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
Head and Neck Cancer Treatment (Throat Cancer)
Treatment of head and neck malignancies depend on the type and stage of the tumor. Treatment modalities used in the management of these malignancies included radiotherapy, surgery and chemotherapy. Surgical options included laser technology, excision, neck dissection or lymph node dissection, and reconstructive surgery. Target therapy is available.
Orthopedics 7 procedures
This is an orthopedic surgical procedure where a damaged hip is replaced with an implant, i.e., a prosthesis. This procedure can be performed either as hemi-replacement (only femoral head is replaced) or total replacement (i.e., total hip arthroplasty where both the femoral head and acetabulum are replaced).
Knee Replacement (arthroplasty) is an operation used to replace weight-bearing surfaces of the knee joint to relieve disability and pain. Especially in patients with osteoarthritis, psoriatic arthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. Surgical techniques available include total knee replacement, partial knee replacement and femoral replacement.
Its an ankle replacement surgery done to replace damaged joint articular surfaces with prosthetic implants. It is currently a more preferred option than arthrodesis.
Knee Ligament Surgery (ACL)
This is a procedure done to treat knee ligament tears. It is currently done as a laparoscopic procedure, but open surgery is still practiced in some regions of the world. It helps reduce pain and improve stability in the joint.
Ankle Fracture Treatment
Ankle fractures can be treated surgically or non-surgically. The method will depend on the degree of injury and the patient’s choice. The non-surgical options include casting and splinting.
Bone Fracture Treatment
Treatment depend on the severity of the fracture, patient choice and cost of treatment. Medically, reduction is done to fix a dislocated or Brocken bone. Devices available to fix fracture include orthopedic casts, splints, elastic bandages, and traction splint. Therapeutic physical therapy and joint manipulation can be done. Surgery included internal and external fixation.
The procedure is also known as total ankle arthroplasty. It is an orthopedic procedure done to replace the ankle joint articular surfaces that have been damaged by disease or injury with prosthetic components. It is done to treat ankle arthritis.
Specialists working with Al Zahra Hospital, Dubai
Dr.Abdalla Al Hajiri Cardiology
- Dr. Abdalla graduated from the Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin, Ireland in 1997 he trained in internal medicine in a teaching hospital in Dublin, Ireland.
Dr.Abdullah Qassim Neurology
- Dr. Qassim graduated from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland in 1998. In 2002, He obtained MRCS diploma from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow.
Dr.Ahmed Labib Orthopedics
- Dr. Labib is a consultant in orthopedic surgery and traumatology since 2001. He graduated from Cairo University school of medicine in 1994 with an excellent Honored grade.
Dr. Jessy Maurice Neonatology
- She completed her Pediatrics residency and Neonatology fellowship at the American University of Beirut Medical Center in Beirut, Lebanon.
- Diagnosis and treatment of newborn infants with respiratory distress, sepsis, congenital malformations or other conditions.
- Attending to high-risk deliveries and performing newborn resuscitation.
- Postoperative management of newborns undergoing surgical procedures.
- Extensive experience in the care of the extreme low birth weight infants, late preterm infants, newborns with congenital diaphragmatic hernia, meconium aspiration, pulmonary hypertension or other congenital malformations.
Dr. Abid Showkat Zargar Gastroenterology
- He finished his Gastroenterology Fellowship training from Sheri Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, India.
- He has subspecialized with a clinical fellowship in advanced therapeutic endoscopy, Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) and Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) for over 1 year in one of the busiest endoscopy units in India.
- He specializes in endoscopic procedures including basic and advanced upper and lower GI endoscopy, Endoscopic ultrasound and ERCP.
- His endoscopic expertise includes removal of polyps from esophagus, stomach, colon; placement of Gastric balloon for obesity,percutaneous endoscopic placement of gastrostomy feeding tubes, dilation of strictures, placement of stents in oesophagus, stomach, small and large intestine.
Dr. Amani Landoulsi Helal Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery
- Dr. Amani is Associate Professor in Medicine, specialized in Maxillo-Facial, Plastic, Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgery, graduated from both Tunisian and French Medicine universities.
- She has more than 15 years of exclusive practice of surgery in France, Tunisia and UAE.
- Dr. Amani works in a multi-disciplinary environment and thoroughly enjoys the regular clinical case interaction with general surgery, oncology, ENT surgery, bariatric surgery, gynecology, Breast reconstruction, Fat grafting, Nanofat and dermatology.
- She performed a wide variety of Maxillo-facial and plastic surgery procedures, and her practice focused on face and breast surgery, cosmetic surgery, and plastic surgery after weight loss.
Dr. Anwar Mousa Micheal Paediatrics
- PhD in Pediatrics (Jordan)
- Growth and Development monitoring
- Baby Clinic and Vaccinations
- Neonatal care for babies of 34 weeks and above.
- Paediatric Cardiology & Endocrinology
Dr. Andrew Jenkinson General Surgery
- Dr Andrew Jenkinson is a Consultant Surgeon specializing in the treatment of obesity, gallstones, hernias, heartburn and abdominal pain.
- Dr Andrew runs regular clinics in both London and Dubai. In Al Zahra hospital he is a member of the specialist bariatric surgery team providing safe and successful treatment of obesity.
- In London he leads the bariatric surgery teams in the world renowned London Clinic on Harley Street and the famous Wellington Hospital.
- e has performed over 2,000 procedures to date.
- He currently carries out approximately 100 laparoscopic hernia operations and a similar number of gallbladder procedures per year.He currently carries out approximately 100 laparoscopic hernia operations and a similar number of gallbladder procedures per year.
- He performs approximately 200 weight loss procedures per year.
Dr. Christelle Abboud Gynecology
- Dr. Christelle Abboud is a French Gynecologist and Obstetrician.
- She is an advocate of minimally invasive surgery to reduce postoperative pain & hospitalization time, and accelerate recovery.
- Dr. Abboud performs high-level laparoscopic surgeries such as myomectomy or hysterectomy.
- Dr. Abboud is a Breast Surgeon as well, and performs breast plastic surgery in addition to all types of oncologic and reconstructive surgery for cancer.
Dr. Denesh Gopalan Gastroenterology
- Dr. Gopalan has been practising medicine for nearly 25 and Gastroenterology for 20 years.
- He was trained in Gastroenterology from the Beumont and Mater Hospitals of Dublin, Ireland.
- He has been working in Dubai for the past 10 yrs.
- He has significant experience in all areas of internal medicine and gastroenterology and regularly conducts procedures such as upper GI endoscopy, colonoscopy, ERCP, capsule endoscopy, PH monitoring, CRE balloon dilatation of strictures, and STRETTA.
- Advanced therapeutic endoscopic procedures
- Endoscopic control of massive upper and lower gastrointestinal bleeding
- Endoscopic haemorrhoidal banding of bleeding haemorrhoids
Dr. Gurdeep SIngh Ophthalmology
- Dr. Gurdeep Singh, originally from India, graduated with a Bachelor degree in Medicine with honors.
- He has more than 17 years of ophthalmology experience and performed almost 10 thousand surgical procedures.
- Laser lachrymal surgery for the watery eyes (both child and adults)
- Phacoemulsification( both child and adults)
- Manual Small Incision Cataract surgery
Dr. Hosam Al- Qudah Urology
- Dr Hosam Al-Qudah is a board certified consultant Urologist with Fellowship training from the United States of America.
- Minimal invasive urology (laparoscopy and endourology)
- Stone disease and treatment including Laser therapy
- Uro-oncology (Cancer diseases)
- Transplant Surgery
- Female Urology and Urodynamics (incontinence and bladder dysfunction)
Dr. Michael Timms Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT)
- All Adult & Childrens’ ENT problems
- Endoscopic sinus surgery including complicated cases such as CSF leak, angiofibroma and other intranasal/ sinus tumours
- All ear surgery including cochlear implants, other implantable devices and Stapedectomy for otosclerosis
- Coblation surgery for tonsils and adenoids
- Laryngeal microsurgery including papillomatosis
Get a free treatment plan including price estimate, consultant profile etc.