Dr L.V. Prasad Eye Hospital, Hyderabad
Established in 1987, L V Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) is a comprehensive eye health facility with its main campus located in Hyderabad, India. A World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Prevention of Blindness, the Institute offers comprehensive patient care, sight enhancement and rehabilitation services and high-impact rural eye health programs. It also pursues cutting edge research and offers training in human resources for all levels of ophthalmic personnel. LVPEI is the first major eye institute in India to receive accreditation from the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare providers (NABH). The Institute's Kallam Anji Reddy campus in Hyderabad, Shri Mithu Tulsi Chanrai Campus in Bhubaneswar and the GMR Varalakshmi campus in Visakhapatnam are NABH accredited.
Unsure about your medical condition and the treatment that will suit you best?
Are you not sure as to which treatment will be best suited for your medical condition or want to know more about the risks involved in the treatment? Or are you worried about the location, services, qualification of the treating doctor? It’s easy to clarify all your doubts. Just share your contact details, talk to our experts or get a free online consultation, and get all the answers to your questions in no time.
English, Hindi, Telugu, Translators can be arranged for other Languages
Medical records transfer
Phone in the room
Special dietary requests accepted
Private rooms for patients available
Online doctor consultation
Local transportation booking
Local tourism options
Personal assistance / Concierge
Health insurance coordination
Ophthalmology 10 procedures
This is a procedure where the lens in one’s eye that has become cloudy (cataract) is removed and replaced with an artificial Len (called IOL or intraocular Len). Cataract is a condition that leads to loss of vision by clouding of one’s natural eye Len that lies behind the pupil and iris. It is performed by an ophthalmologist.
Detached Retina Treatment
The retinal detachment is an emergency condition where the pulls from the bold vessel that supply it with nutrients and oxygen. It’s accompanied by floaters (cobwebs or specks) and flashes in one's vision. If not fixed leads to blindness. The condition can be managed via various treatment modalities by an ophthalmologist. The notable procedures include vitrectomy, pneumatic retinopexy and scleral buckle procedure.
It is also known as blepharoplasty. It’s a surgical procedure meant to improve the appearance of one's eyelids. It can be performed on the lower lid, upper lids or both. It’s performed by plastic surgeons and helps correct deformities, disfigurations, and defects of the eyelids. It’s used to treat sagging or loose skin that creates a fold and disturb natural contour of the eye, remove fatty deposits that make ones eye puffy, remove bags below the eye, correct drooping lower lid and remove fine wrinkles and excess skins in lower lids.
Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Treatment
Currently, there is no specific treatment for dry AMD, but the patient can slow their condition by taking minerals and vitamins daily. There are however the wet AMD can be managed with Anti-VEGF drugs which helps decrease the number of abnormal vessels in one’s eye. Laser surgery can also be used to manage it.
This is corneal grafting. It is a surgical procedure where a person’s diseased or damaged cornea is replaced by a corneal tissue that is donated.
Artificial Iris Implantation
During this procedure, an artificial iris made from silicon is folded then inserted into an incision that has been made in the cornea. It is a cosmetic procedure. In it, the iris is adjusted and unfolded to cove one's natural iris. This implant is used to change the color of one’s eyes. It is also sued to treat coloboma or people whose iris have been damaged by traumatic injuries.
Amniotic Membrane Transplant
Amniotic Membrane can function as a temporary graft or a basement membrane substitute in the eye. The membrane has growth factors that promote wound healing. Also, it has anti-inflammatory and anti-scarring effects. AM has two functions, i.e., as a surgical graft and as a biological bandage. AMT is used in ophthalmology to reconstruct the conjunctiva and the cornea after scaring due to disease, acute burns, and corneal persistent epithelial defects.
A Chalazion is a painless benign nodule or bulge in the lower or upper eyelids. Conservatively, it is managed by lid hygiene and warm compress. Medically, topical or intralesional steroids can be used to minimize inflammation. This can cause regression of the lesion in few weeks. An ophthalmologist best performs surgery to remove the lesion.
This is type of refractive error in which the eyes don’t focus light evenly on the retina resulting in blurring of vision. It can also lead to night blindness, headaches and eyestrains. The condition is corrected with contact lenses, refractive surgery and eyeglasses.
Vitrectomy (Retinal Detachment Repair)
Retinal detachment repair is eye surgery to place a retina back into its normal position. The retina is the light-sensitive tissue in the back of the eye. Detachment means that it has pulled away from the layers of tissue around it. Most retinal detachment repair operations are urgent. A detached retina does not get a supply of oxygen. This causes the cells in the area to die, which can lead to blindness. If holes or tears in the retina are found before the retina detaches, the eye doctor can close the holes using a laser.
Specialists working with Dr L.V. Prasad Eye Hospital, Hyderabad
Dr Divya Balakrishnan Ophthalmology
- Divya Balakrishnan completed her basic medical degree from Calicut Medical College and her DNB from Little Flower Hospital and Research Centre, Angamaly.
- She did her post-doctoral fellowship in vitreo retinal diseases (Fellow of the National Board) at L V Prasad Eye Institute, and then joined LVPEI as a consultant.
- She has presented papers and posters at various conferences. Her areas of interest are retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) and other pediatric retinal diseases.
Dr. Vijay Anand P Reddy Ophthalmology
- Consultant, Ocular Oncology
- Vijay Anand P Reddy completed his basic medical education at Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad, followed by an MD in Radiation Oncology from Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai
- He has a DNB in Oncology from the National Board of Examinations, New Delhi
- Dr Reddy actively campaigns for cancer awareness, both prevention and treatment.
Jay Chhablani Ophthalmology
- Jay Chhablani completed his clinical vitreo-retina fellowship from Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai.
- His areas of interest are macular disorders and recent imaging techniques.
- Jay has to his credit several reputed national and international awards, and also has the honour of delivering the inaugural Ian Constable Lecture at the Asia-Pacific Vitreo-Retina Society meet on his work on intravitreal ziv-aflibercept therapy.
Dr Beula Christy Ophthalmology
- Beula Christy, a PhD in vision science from University of New South Wales (UNSW), Sydney, has trained international agencies like Bartimeus and Perkins on early intervention of those with multiple handicaps.
- Over the years she has made several presentations at national and international conferences and has several publications to her credit.
- Her area of interest is early intervention, particularly in children with vision impairment and multiple disabilities.
Dr Ramesh Kekunnaya Ophthalmology
- Ramesh Kekunnaya received his basic medical training from Karnataka Medical College, Hubli and specialized in ophthalmology from Government Medical College, Mysore.
- He received an Achievement award from the American academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) in 2012.
- His core clinical interests include simple & complex strabismus (squint), childhood cataract, vision development, lazy eye and neuro-ophthalmological disorders.
Dr Pravin Krishna Vaddavalli Ophthalmology
- Dr Pravin Vaddavalli is an alumnus of Bangalore Medical College, and did his internship at Victoria Hospitals and Bowring & Lady Curzon Hospital, Bangalore.
- He has devised innovative modifications in lamellar keratoplasty and is involved in research projects in the field of keratoconus, lamellar keratoplasty and refractive surgery.
- His main areas of interest include LASIK and laser surgery, phakic intraocular lenses (ICL), keratoconus, DSEK, DALK, other lamellar corneal surgeries, paediatric cataract, cataract and corneal transplantation.
Dr Sunita Chaurasia Ophthalmology
- Sunita Chaurasia did her fellowship in cornea and anterior segment at LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad (2006-2007) and overseas fellowship in advanced corneal procedures at the renowned Price Vision Group, Indianapolis, USA (2013).
- Her clinical areas of specialization are Advanced corneal surgery, Cataract, Refractive surgery, Pediatric corneal surgery, Infective keratitis and Eyebanking.
- In 2014, she received Achievement award at the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
Dr Bhupesh Bagga Ophthalmology
- Bhupesh Bagga is an alumnus of GSVM Medical College, Kanpur, and has specialised in ophthalmology from the Post-Graduate Institute of Ophthalmology, Rohtak.
- He has presentations at various national meets to his credit and is actively involved in teaching and research activities
- His clinical interests include infectious keratitis, corneal lamellar procedures and cataract surgery.
Dr Swathi Vallabh Badakere Ophthalmology
- Swathi Vallabh Badakere completed her basic medical education from St John's Medical College, Bangalore,
- Her areas of interest are angle closure glaucomas and secondary glaucomas.
- She is a member of the Glaucoma Society of India and All India Ophthalmological Society.
Dr Somasheila Murthy Ophthalmology
- he has over 14 years of rich experience as a full time faculty at LVPEI and is one of the most sought after surgeons.
- Her areas of clinical expertise include diseases of the cornea and anterior segment, uveitis and ocular Inflammation and surgical expertise includes corneal transplant surgery, corneal trauma, refractive surgery and cataract surgery, especially complicated cataract.
- She heads the cornea fellowship program and is also an active member of the administrative teams for the clinical research and internal quality control at LVPEI.
Get a free treatment plan including price estimate, consultant profile etc.