Fortis Hospital Anandapur, Kolkata
Fortis Hospital Anandapur, Kolkata is a world-class super-speciality NABH accredited tertiary care healthcare hospital. The 10-storied, 400 bed hospital is built on a 3 lakh square feet area, equipped with the latest technologies in the medical world. This state-of-the-art facility specialises in cardiology and cardiac surgery, urology, nephrology, neurosciences, orthopaedics, digestive care, emergency care and critical care. Among the various amenities, the hospital has a 24-hour accident and emergency service including trauma treatment, critical care ambulance service, blood bank, cardiac operation theatre, preventive health check, diagnostic and catheterisation laboratory, critical and emergency care, diet counselling, physiotherapy and rehabilitation, laboratory and microbiological services, stress management, 24x7 pharmacy, endoscopy unit and emergency room. The intensive care unit (ICU) is well-equipped with over 70 beds that include a Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU), Coronary Care Unit (CCU), and recovery and isolation beds, with separate high-dependency units. The hospital also has a nephrology department with over 28 advanced dialysis units. The hospital, governed by integrated Building Management System (IBMS), has a pneumatic chute system, for quick vertical and horizontal transportation between floors, facilitating speedy transfer of patient specimens, documents, reports, and medicines to the concerned departments. This saves time for rendering effective and efficient healthcare to the patients.
Unsure about your medical condition and the treatment that will suit you best?
Are you not sure as to which treatment will be best suited for your medical condition or want to know more about the risks involved in the treatment? Or are you worried about the location, services, qualification of the treating doctor? It’s easy to clarify all your doubts. Just share your contact details, talk to our experts or get a free online consultation, and get all the answers to your questions in no time.
English, Arabic, Russian, Bengali (Bangla), Translators can be arranged for other Languages
Medical records transfer
Special offer for group stays
Phone in the room
TV in the room
Special dietary requests accepted
Private rooms for patients available
Mobility accessible rooms
Online doctor consultation
Medical travel insurance
Local transportation booking
Local tourism options
Visa / Travel office
Nursery / Nanny services
Personal assistance / Concierge
Health insurance coordination
Ophthalmology 3 procedures
This is a procedure where the lens in one’s eye that has become cloudy (cataract) is removed and replaced with an artificial Len (called IOL or intraocular Len). Cataract is a condition that leads to loss of vision by clouding of one’s natural eye Len that lies behind the pupil and iris. It is performed by an ophthalmologist.
Detached Retina Treatment
The retinal detachment is an emergency condition where the pulls from the bold vessel that supply it with nutrients and oxygen. It’s accompanied by floaters (cobwebs or specks) and flashes in one's vision. If not fixed leads to blindness. The condition can be managed via various treatment modalities by an ophthalmologist. The notable procedures include vitrectomy, pneumatic retinopexy and scleral buckle procedure.
It is also known as blepharoplasty. It’s a surgical procedure meant to improve the appearance of one's eyelids. It can be performed on the lower lid, upper lids or both. It’s performed by plastic surgeons and helps correct deformities, disfigurations, and defects of the eyelids. It’s used to treat sagging or loose skin that creates a fold and disturb natural contour of the eye, remove fatty deposits that make ones eye puffy, remove bags below the eye, correct drooping lower lid and remove fine wrinkles and excess skins in lower lids.
Gastroenterology 3 procedures
This is a surgical procedure used to remove the gallbladder i.e., pear- shaped organ below the right lobe of the liver where bile is stored. The gallbladder can be removed due to inflammation (cholecystitis), gallstones if it leads to pancreatitis, gallbladder cancer, and biliary colic. The procedure can either be open or laparoscopic. Laparoscopic surgery is minimally invasive and only performed by a laparoscopic surgeon. Currently, advanced laparoscopic surgeries use single incisions, a technique called single incision laparoscopic surgery (SILS) or laparoendoscopic single site surgery.
This is an endoscopic procedure used to examine the colon (large intestine) and the Ileum (the distal sections of the small intestine) using a fiber optic camera or a CCD camera on a flexible tube that is passed via the anus. It helps in the diagnosis of ulcers (e.g., ulcerative colitis, Cohn’s disease), polyps (e.g., HNPCC) and removal or biopsy of suspected lesions of colorectal cancer. It is also used in screening for colorectal cancer. Currently, virtual colonoscopy which is virtually noninvasive is available and uses CT scans or MRI sand to reconstruct its images.
It is a nonsurgical procedure done to examine a person’s gastrointestinal tract. A patient may be anesthetized or fully conscious during the process. It is used in the investigation of gastrointestinal symptoms, confirmation of diagnosis and for treatment purposes, e.g., widening and esophageal stricture. The most commonly performed endoscopic procedure is esophagogastroduodenoscopy (OGD). Endoscopy is also used to examine the respiratory tract (rhinoscopy or bronchoscopy), the ear (otoscope), the urinary tract (cystoscopy) and female reproductive tract (gynoscopy). The technology is also available for use in pregnancy, plastic surgery, orthopedic surgery, endodontic surgeries, endoscopic spinal procedure and endoscopic endonasal surgeries.
General Surgery 3 procedures
Bone Marrow Transplant (Autologous)
This is a surgical procedure which involves a process where unhealthy bone marrow tissue is replaced with a healthy one. In an autologous transplant, your own blood-forming stem cells are collected. You are then treated with high doses of chemotherapy. The high-dose treatment kills the cancer cells, but it also gets rid of the blood-producing cells that are left in your bone marrow.
A hernia is an abnormal protrusion in whole or part, through an OPENING, pathological or anatomically in the walls of its containing cavity, e.g., the abdominal cavity. Hernia Repair procedures involve returning this displaced tissue to their proper place. There are different types of Hernia Repair surgeries, i.e., Herniorrhaphy (tissue repair) and hernioplasty (mesh repair) where a mesh is usually sewn over weakened areas.
This is the surgical removal either wholly or partially one or both breasts. It is carried out to treat breast cancer. It can be carried out prophylactically in case a patient has a high risk of breast malignancy. There are five types of mastectomies being practiced today, i.e., radical mastectomy, subcutaneous (nipple- sparing) mastectomy, partial mastectomy, modified radical mastectomy and “total” or “simple” mastectomy.
Dentistry 3 procedures
This is an endodontic procedure that is done using a microscope hence also referred to as endodontic microsurgery. It is commonly done after a previous root canal procedure which has become infected and the second root retreatment unsuccessful or impossible. In an apicoectomy, the teeth root tip is removed, and then a root end cavity is prepared before being filled with a material that is biocompatible.
It is also known as bone transplanting. This is a surgical procedure used to replace a missing bone to repair bone fractures that are complex, fail to heal in right way or pose a substantial health risk to the patient. It is that is used to repair problems with joints or bone, especially from trauma. It is also useful in ensuring that bone grows around an implanted device properly.
Is a procedure used to install a dental crown after damage. Normally, it requires at least two visits to a dentist. In the first visit, dentist examines the teeth to ensure it can support the crown then starts filling the crown to ensure it can support the crown. The dentist then takes an impression of the teeth and send to the dental lab so that permanent crown is made. In the second visit, the permanent crown is installed. Several types of crowns are available, i.e., porcelain, ceramic, stainless steel, resin, and gold. The procedure can be undertaken for cosmetic reasons or repair damaged the tooth.
Bariatric Surgery 3 procedures
Bariatric Surgery Consultation
This is a weight loss procedure. Currently, most are performed laparoscopically. These include sleeve gastrostomy, adjustable gastric band, gastric bypass and Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch. This consultation will provide you with details about this procedure and go on to offer details of procedure relevant to thee. We will endeavor to explain to you how the procedures work and how it will help you achieve your desired weight.
Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch (BPD/DS)
Its a procedure similar to a gastric bypass. It involves creating a small stomach pouch then rerouting the intestines. The procedure has several advantages and some disadvantages. In this procedure, surgeons create a small stomach and rest of stomach removed. The small bowel is then divided into two parts. The end of the small bowel is connected to the stomach so that food passes directly from the small stomach to it and the bypassed piece that contains bile and important digestive enzymes connected to last part of the ileum. Food and the enzymes will meet in this area where digestion takes place. The patients thus digest efficiently and eat less food. This leads to weight loss and correction of metabolic syndrome.
Gastric Band Surgery
This is a weight loss surgery. In it, the surgeon places a band around the upper part of one's stomach hence creating a small pouch to hold food. The band will help limit the quantity of food one can take by making one feel early satiety after consuming small food. The procedure is currently performed laparoscopically.
Cardiology 3 procedures
Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Closure
An ASD is a congenital heart defect in the atrial septum that results in leakage oxygen-rich blood from left atrium to the right atrium. This increases the work of workload of the right side of the heart and if not corrected early can lead to heart failure. The defect if small can be corrected by cardiac catheterization usually by a pediatric cardiologist. A large defect often needs open heart procedures.
This is the systematic examination of a patient’s cardiovascular system with the aim of diagnosing cardiovascular problems. The assessment encompasses taking a comprehensive history of a patient, carrying out a thorough physical examination of a patient and finally doing investigations such as electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, central venous pressure, etc.
It is a type of cardiac catheterization procedure. It is performed for both interventional and diagnostic purposes. In this procedure, a dye that is radiopaque is injected into the blood vessels of one’s heart. An X-ray machine is then used to take serial images (angiograms) that give a picture of how the blood vessels are. Based on the finding, an interventional cardiologist will open the clogged vessels (angioplasty).
Diagnostic Imaging 2 procedures
Full Body PET CT Scan
This is an imaging modality that allows physicians to see diseases in one’s body. It utilizes a special dye that has a radioactive tracer. This tracer is injected into one's vein and after that distributed in the body where it’s absorbed by tissues and organs. It helps doctor s to see how well they are working. It measures oxygen use, glucose metabolism, blood flow, etc. It helps show problems at cellular level hence useful in detecting brain disorders, heart problems, central nervous system problems like seizure and memory disorders. It also shows the response to cancer to chemotherapy.
MRI Scan Magnetic Resonance Imaging
This is an imaging modality that used strong radio waves and magnetic field to produce imaged of the internal structure of the body. The scanner itself is a large tube that comprises powerful magnets. One lies inside the tube while getting scanned. The machine can produce two type of images, i.e., T1-weighted and T2-weighted images. Sometimes, contrast is used to enhance the images.
Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) 3 procedures
This is a surgical procedure used to remove the adenoids (lymphoid tissue in the nasopharynx) when they are enlarged hence causing recurrent earache, chronic infections or impaired breathing via the nose. It is performed by an otolaryngologist.
This is an electronic gadget (device) used to replace the functions of the inner ear when it is damaged. The implant does the work of the Cochlear by generating sound signals for the brain. It is thus useful in persons with profound or moderate hearing loss bilaterally. The device helps one to her better. Cochlear implant surgery is done by ENT Surgeon.
These are surgeries done on the larynx to remove various pathologies such as laryngeal cancer, laryngeal papilloma, laryngeal granulomas, etc. Total laryngectomy (open) is the complete removal of the larynx while partial is incomplete removal. This normally depends on the location and stage of cancer. Endoscopic laryngeal surgeries are getting common. Microlaryngeal surgeries are used to operate on one's vocal cord. Laser surgery is a recent addition.
Gynecology 3 procedures
Cervical Polyp Removal
Cervical polyps are figure –shaped, red smooth growths in one's cervix. They commonly present as abnormal per vaginal bleed. They occur in multiparous women after the age of 20. They are diagnosed during a pelvic exam. There are removed surgically by gently twisting then tying its base before removing via special forceps. A solution then applied to stop any bleed.
This is a procedure where the gynecologist surgical destroys the uterine endometrium. Various tools are utilized during the procedure. These may include heated fluid, high energy radio frequencies, extreme cold and microwave energy. Goal is to treat abnormal uterine bleeding by reducing one's menstrual flow.
It is a new alternative technique to open surgeries. It allows a surgeon to look into one's pelvis. It can be sued to remove adhesions, manage ectopic pregnancies, manage ovarian cysts, hysterectomy, oophorectomy, and myomectomy, do female sterilization (tubal ligation), diagnose & treat endometriosis and cancer investigation and lymph node sampling in cancer treatment.
Neurosurgery 3 procedures
These are a surgical procedure where bone flaps are temporarily removed from the skull to give access to the brain. The bone flaps are created by specialized tools. Sometimes it’s done under the guidance of CT scans or MRI scans to localize the areas of treatment (stereotactic Craniotomy). A craniotomy is used in stereotactic biopsy of the brain, stereotactic radiosurgery & stereotactic aspiration of hematomas, cysts or abscesses. A craniotomy is also useful in aneurysmal clipping and removal of brain tumors. Are of various types, i.e., translabarynthine Craniotomy, retro-sigmoid Craniotomy, extended bifrontal Craniotomy and supra-orbital Craniotomy.
Peripheral Nerve Surgery
This is practiced by surgeons from various backgrounds with expertise in plastic and reconstructive surgery, neurology, pain medicine, and orthopedics hence the need for a multidisciplinary care. The surgeries included entrapment neuropathies, nerve sheath tumors like schwannomas and acute nerve injuries.
Subdural Hematoma (SDH) Surgery
SDH is an intracranial hemorrhage that takes place beneath the meningeal Dura matter and may be associated with other traumatic brain injuries. They can be spontaneous, iatrogenic like from lumbar punctures or traumatic. SDH can be acute or chronic. SDH surgery involves a craniotomy to decompress brain tissue, stop active bleeding and possibly evacuate the hematoma.
Oncology 1 procedures
Breast Cancer Treatment
Treatment of breast cancer depends on the stage. The treatment may involve radiotherapy, surgery or medications. The types of surgeries used included mastectomy (radical mastectomy or simple mastectomy, modified radical mastectomy, patery modified radical mastectomy), breast-conserving surgery, lumpectomy and lymph node dissection. Medical therapy involves chemotherapy for breast cancer or systemic hormonal therapy like tamoxifen.
Specialists working with Fortis Hospital Anandapur, Kolkata
Dr. Shivaji Basu Urology
- Dr. Shivaji Basu, one of the most well-known urologists of his time, has been practicing since the last 3 decades with a record of more than 22,000 urological surgeries and procedures under his belt.
- Dr. Basu's practice specializes in the care of critically ill kidney stone patients
- He has been the pioneer in Lithotripsy (the most advance method of treatment for kidney stone) for last 30 years with the noble aim to make complex transplant services accessible to save thousands of lives and their families in this part of the country.
- Dr. Basu completed his MS degree from Calcutta University and FRCS from Edinburgh and London University respectively.
- His interests also include writing for medical journals and presenting papers in conferences all over the world.
Dr. Sumita Saha Paediatrics
- Dr. Sumita Saha is a renowned Consultant Neonatologist and Paediatrician with more than 8 years of working experience in tertiary Neonatal units in Nottingham and Leeds, UK.
- She has managed babies born as premature as 23 weeks of gestation i.e. born at 6 months of pregnancy and weighing as little as 500 gms
- Her entire Paediatric training is from the UK where she got her membership of Royal College of Paediatrics Child Health i.e. MRCPCH.
- She has worked in many tertiary, level 3 Neonatal centers in UK including Nottingham where a well equipped 25 bedded NICU, with eight ventilators, 24 hour arterial blood gas, X-ray and in-house ultrasonography facilities, pediatric surgery, cardiology
- ha has conducted a research project on childhood urinary tract infection (UTI) and appropriate investigations following UTI.
Dr. Ronen Roy Orthopedics
- Dr. Ronen Roy is an Orthopaedic Surgeon of international repute and is an expert in all forms of Orthopaedic Surgery with a special flair for Joint Replacement Surgery, Management of Complex Trauma and Diagnosis, treatment, and management of Osteoporosis.
- After completing his MBBS from Calcutta Medical College, Dr. Roy went on to finish his FRCS from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow.
- In the course of his illustrious international career, Dr. Roy has also served as a full-time lecturer in Orthopaedics and Trauma at the University of Wales, Cardiff.
- He is a member of the faculty for many basic, intermediate, and advanced courses in Joint Replacement Surgery.
Dr. Ratnabali Chakravorty Gynecology
- Dr. Ratnabali Chakravorty is an eminent Consultant Obstetrician Gynecologist having more than 30 years of experience in this field.
- Dr. Ratnabali Chakravorty has received various awards and accolades: Received National Talent Scholarship in Higher Secondary Examination-1974 College Scholarship during all the years of Study Green Armytage Prize in Clinical Gynecology and Obstetrical Pathology
- She has completed MBBS in the year 1984 from Medical College Kolkata.
- Thereafter she has completed her DGO from Medical College in the year 1985 and MD (Gynae Obs) in the year 1988.
Dr. Debashis Chakraborty Neurology
- Dr. Debashis Chakraborty is an eminent neurologist and is an expert in the field of General Neurology, specifically dementia and other memory-related disorders with over 10 years of experience.
- After completing his post graduation in General Medicine from MGM Medical College, Indore, Dr. Chakraborty went on to complete his DNB in Neurology from Sir Gangaram Hospital, New Delhi, and worked at The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queensquare, London, in Cognitive and Behavioural Neurology.
- Dr. Chakraborty is an expert in the field of General Neurology, specificallyin dementia and other memory-related disorders.
- He has attained Scholarship during MBBS and MD.
Dr. Arup Ratan Dutta Nephrology
- Dr. Dutta, a visionary leader in the domain of Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation, has not only pioneered in introducing latest technologies such as Chronic Peritoneal Dialysis, CRRT and Plasmapheresis in the eastern region but also provided the best available treatments to his patients.
- His endeavor is to remains focused on the quality of dialysis; he is credited for having many patients on long term dialysis, in some cases even for more than 10 years.
- He has over 34 years of experience.
- Dr. Dutta a Gold Medalist in MBBS from Calcutta Medical College completed his postgraduate studies from Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, where he obtained his MD (Medicine) and DM (Nephrology) degrees.
- He is one of the founding members of the Peritoneal Dialysis Society of India (PDSI) and has served as its President.
Dr. Ramesh Agarwalla General Surgery
- Dr. Ramesh Agarwalla is a Senior General and advanced Laparoscopic Surgeon with over 20 years of experience
- With over 15, 000 laparoscopic surgeries to his credit, he is well-versed in both, basic and advanced procedures
- He is specialized in Complex abdominal surgeries and expert in Rectal surgeries
- He is also specializes in Laparoscopic repair of all types of Hernias, Lap
- Dr. Agarwalla specialises in doing Laparoscopic and open surgery for Gall stones, CBD stones, Pancreas, Adrenal gland all types of Hernia, Cancer of stomach, Colon, Rectum, Rectal prolaps, Piles, fissure fistula
- Dr. Agarwalla is an expert in the many disciplines of laparoscopic surgery, Gastrointestinal surgery, Onchology endocrine surgery, as well as Bariatric surgery
Dr. Debasis Datta Gastroenterology
- Dr. Debasis Datta is an eminent consultant in Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Internal Medicine with over 15 years of experience in UK
- After training in Gastroenterology and Hepatology in London, UK, Dr. Datta practiced as a consultant in Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Internal Medicine for more than seven years in London, both in the NHS and private sector.
- Dr. Dutta is currently Overseas Advisor (INDIA) for ROYAL COLLEGE OF PHYSICIAN UK
- Dr. Datta is an expert in Gastroenterology, Hepatology, therapeutic endoscopies, including ERCP, management of GI bleed, and enteroscopy.
Dr. Ranjan Choudhury Ophthalmology
- Dr. Ranjan Choudhury is a highly acclaimed Consultant Eye Surgeon based in Kolkata, West Bengal specialising in all types of Microsurgery and Vitreo-Retinal Surgery
- He is attached to various hospitals in Kolkata like Shraddha Eye Care, AMRI, Vision Care Hospital, Netra Niketan, Mercy Hospital and Mahaprabhu Eye Centre as Consultant Ophthalmologist and Consultant Eye Surgeon
- The primary aim is to provide latest eye care technology of affordable cost for everyone.
- He has attended 114 Eye Camps in and around Kolkata and operated on 2919 persons in rural eye camps.
Dr. Aneek Bhattacharya Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT)
- Dr. Aneek Bhattaccharyya is a visiting ENT Consultant with Fortis Hospital, Anandapur, Kolkata and is known for doing all types of microsurgeries including Tymnoplasty, Tympanotomy, exam of ear under microscope and all routine procedures.
- He has successfully done cases like Septoplsty with or without Turbinectomy AN S.M.D, Fracture nasal bone, Nasal Polyp, Post Nasal Space growth or S.O.L (Biopsy oriented), Epistaxis requiring operation including Diathermy and Cautarisations, Mastoid Explorations, Ear Polyp not regular, Fibro-optic Laryngoscopy, Direct Laryngoscopy, Tracheostomy, Tonsillectomy, different biopsy including excision biopsy, Submandibular duct stones.
Dr. Azizul Md Hauque Cardiology
- Dr. Md. Azizul Haque is a Consultant Interventional Cardiologist and Cardiac Electrophysiologist
- He was an Assistant Professor of Cardiology , Institute of post-graduate Medical Education Research, Kolkata.
- He is a member of Cardiological Society of India, Indian Heart Rhythm Society, Association of Physicians of India and Acute Cardiovascular Care Association [ European society of Cardiology]
- His clinical interest are Cardiac Electrophysiology.
Get a free treatment plan including price estimate, consultant profile etc.